Reconciling single cheque covering multiple payments

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Tue Nov 9 03:47:41 EST 2004

Hi Des.

On Tuesday 09 Nov 2004 06:24, Des Dougan wrote:

> I am using the A/R system (or, at least, trying to...). I think what I
> did was enter the cheque into the register and when I did a bank account
> file import (a QFX file), matched it against the paid-in cheque - so
> that wouldn't, I guess, know anything about which invoices to map to.

Sounds correct to me. The A/R (and A/P) system can enter transactions in other
registers, but doesn't cope well with other registers adding transactions to
it, (if that makes any sense)

> I suspect that I don't do this frequently enough yet to have it off pat
> in my head. So, is there a way to mark these invoices paid without
> screwing up further? I'm assuming that if I do it with the cheque
> already matched, processing these payments will throw my balance out. Is
> that right? Should the correct process be 1. process payment; 2.
> reconcile bank?

I think the only way to correct problem this is to delete the (reconciled)
cheque from your bank account, and then re-enter it using the business ->
customers -> process payment menu entry.  In that dialog, you select the
customer, date, and transfer account (in this case, your bank) and hit OK and
the invoices should get marked as paid, the cheque should re-appear in your
bank register - and then you can reconcile again...

Hope that helps,
Maf.