Tracking business expenses from personal account

Mike gnucash at quirky.me.uk
Wed Feb 16 04:31:00 EST 2005

--- Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> This is what the "Employee Expense Voucher" is for.  When you use your
> own personal funds to buy something for the company you can fill out
> the voucher and it gets applied to A/Payable (A Liability account).
> This way you can keep track of how much you owe yourself using the
> aging reports.

Wow, I didn't expect quite such a response to my question. Thanks to all that
replied (also the odd private reply), this seems to be one of the more useful
lists out there :-)

Anyway, I'm going through some variants of the suggestions. The most sensible
one is also the most work - where I set up a mirror of the business bank
account as an asset under my personal accounts. The nice thing about that is
that my 'net worth' is accurate-ish in one file. It does means entering all the
expense and reimbursements against more intermediary accounts (otherwise my
expenses on food increase my assets :-) This is too much work.

I'm going to try the Expense Voucher idea, seems to keep reasonable control but
as I'm currently out incurring said expenses at the moment, I' haven't managed
to spend too much time trying all alternatives.

Oh, and as to the suggestion of using a separate account for business personal
expenses: I've tried that, but as I don't always carry all my cards on me
(sensible precaution if travelling), I often end up with the wrong ones at the
wrong time.

Thanks again for all your helpful input,
Cheers
Mike