Installing finance::quote

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Tue Jun 20 00:10:56 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 15:19 -0500, Jerry Criswell wrote:

> Being new to linux (ubuntu 6.06), I don't know how to determine if that
> script is in that package.

I don't remember enough about Debian to tell you what to try.

> I tried a search for the other two, but the
> way ubuntu is set up, I can only search in my home directory where none of
> them show up.  I even unhid everything in that directory.  I will learn
> how to search from the root as root.

Sounds like you need to search from a terminal window.  Try:

   find /usr -name finance-quote-check

> Gnucash does let me specify quote info for my mutual funds.

That means that gnucash *does* successfully find Finance::Quote.
Otherwise it wouldn't let you do anything with quote sources.

> I believe I
> have it set up to go to Yahoo for quotes.  When I press "Get Quotes", an
> error box pops up saying "Unable to retrieve quotes for these items:
> FUND:(fund name).

That says that gnucash was successful in querying FInance::Quote for the
fund, but there was no information returned.  Does Yahoo know about your
fund?  Go to http://finance.yahoo.com and use the Symbol Lookup facility
there.  You'll need to enter the exact symbol returned into gnucash,
including any one or two letter extensions.  If the lookup on that
website fails, you'll need to find another source for your fund quotes.

David