Enabling Online Securities Quotes

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 23:04:00 EST 2007

On Nov 5, 2007, at 1:09 PM, David T. wrote:

> 'Dueling perls' -- I had to laugh at that. I can hear the banjos
> already.
>
> Nonetheless, you're probably onto something. 'which perl' returns
> "/opt/local/bin/perl" suggesting a Macports installation of perl.
> 'port list
> perl*' returns: perl5.8  @5.8.8  lang/perl5.8, while 'fink list
> perl*' returns:
>
> p   perl586-core                  [virtual package]
>     perl588          5.8.8-4      The Perl programming language, v.
> 5.8.8
>     perl588-core     5.8.8-4      Core files for perl, v. 5.8.8
>
> suggesting that fink had nothing to do with getting perl going. Per
> the cpan
> FAQ, the command 'perldoc perllocal' tells me that:
>
>      Mon Jun 19 01:49:29 2006: "Module" Date::Manip
>       o   "installed into: /sw/lib/perl5"
>       o   "LINKTYPE: dynamic"
>       o   "VERSION: 5.42"
>       o   "EXE_FILES: "
>
>      Mon Jun 19 01:51:24 2006: "Module" HTML::Tagset
>       o   "installed into: /sw/lib/perl5"
>       o   "LINKTYPE: dynamic"
>       o   "VERSION: 3.10"
>       o   "EXE_FILES: "
>
>      Wed Mar 22 22:39:04 2006: "Module" IO::String
>       o   "installed into: /sw/lib/perl5"
>       o   "LINKTYPE: dynamic"
>       o   "VERSION: 1.06"
>       o   "EXE_FILES: "
>
> which is interesting, since I just updated Date::Manip to 5.45,
> according to
> cpan. Now, any suggestions how should I proceed to clean up the mess?

OK. I know a little more about this now. Turns out gnc-fq-dump is hard
coded to use /usr/bin/perl, so it will only work if you have all the
necessary perl modules CPANned into your system perl.

Gnucash uses whichever perl the $PATH finds (first, supposedly), so if
you get all the dependency modules installed in that perl, gnucash
oughtta work.

I do have to fix fink's gnucash2 dependency list to include perl58[6|
8] not just the -core variant brought in by the modules. Just 'fink
install perl586' before 'fink install gnucash2'.

I'll have to fix the packaging to accept either 586 or 588. I think I
can figure that out.

Dave
--
David Reiser