v2.2.4 QIF import & reports

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at swclan.homelinux.org
Sun Mar 9 16:23:14 EDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 02:53:25PM -0400, Stuart Blood wrote:
> At 07:53 PM 3/8/2008, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 08, 2008 at 06:02:58PM -0500, Stuart Blood wrote:
> >> (2) I have struggled quite a bit with reports.  How do I get an
> >> expense report for a particular period?  For example, how can I see
> >> what I spent on "utilities" in 2007.  No matter that I set the date
> >> range, my reports always show activity for the current year.
> >
> >are you sure you have transactions for utilities in 2007? Are you sure
> >that you are actually setting the date range properly? Just to go
> >through the basics Report -> Income & Expense -> Income
> >Statement. After the report does the initial run, click the Option
> >button on the toolbar. Select "general" and pick starting and ending
> >dates appropriately. Start with "Previous Year Start" and "Previous
> >Year End" and then click OK. The report should rerun and display the
> >new information.
> >

> Thanks, Andrew.
>
> That was very helpful.  It was the basics that I hadn't figured out.  I'm
> almost there.  Two more questions, if your'e willing:
>
> (1) I have sub-accounts under "utilities", e.g. "electric", "phone",
> "gas".  In the "Income statement" dialog, where I select the accounts
> for the report, I've selected "utilities" expecting a report on all the
> sub-accounts, as well.  Even though I set "levels of subaccounts" to
> "all", the total for utilities was 0.00.  I had to manually select the
> subaccounts.  Am I missing something?

yes. Reports will only show amounts from those accounts that are
selected. You must select utilities and electric and phone to make it
work. The levels of subaccounts affects whether those sub-accounts are
displayed or concatenated with the higher level accounts...

> (2) Once I've generated a report by picking all the parameters, is there
> a way to save it for future periods?

If you change the name of the report then the "Add Report" button will
come available. CLick that and the report will be available under
Reports->Custom the next time you run gnucash.