What tax line item to use for state UC tax?

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 19 21:37:01 EDT 2009

On Jun 19, 2009, at 9:09 PM, Christopher Stamper wrote:

> I'm using GNU Cash for my personal accounts. I've been posting my
> gross pay,
> and recording the tax deductions to a set of tax-related accounts, as
> suggested in the GNU Cash tutorial (very helpful document, btw).
>
> I've associated each tax account with the appropriate tax line item
> (TXF
> Category). However, I cannot find an item for my state's UC
> (Unemployment
> Compensation?) tax. I live and work in Pennslyvania, and the item in
> question appears on my pay stubs as 'PA UC - Employee'.
>
> Does anyone know which category I should use?
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Christopher Stamper
>
> Email: christopherstamper at gmail.com
> Web: http://tinyurl.com/2ooncg
> gTalk: http://tinyurl.com/6e359r
> Skype: cdstamper

It doesn't look to me like there is a separate TXF category for that
tax. It is an income-based tax withheld by the state, so you could try
assigning the state withholding category to it, and double-check any
reports/imports to make sure they are summed instead of truncated. You
might also have to mess with tax software a bit if you do try
importing the data.

Dave
--
David Reiser