Gnucash very slow after importing 13 yrs data from Quickbooks

matthew-gnucash at newtoncomputing.co.uk matthew-gnucash at newtoncomputing.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 18:36:49 EST 2009

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 01:55:34PM +0000, matthew-gnucash at newtoncomputing.co.uk wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 09:57:21PM -0500, Donald Allen wrote:
> > The first thing I'd be suspicious of is your home-brew Gnucash file.
> > I'd suggest double-checking somehow that its form and content are
> > correct. I'd also suggest running top and vmstat while Gnucash is

I think I've got it, after some file comparison and a bit of
thinking.

The only differences I could see between 'my' file and a
gnucash-generated one was that the UUIDs were different. Gnucash
UUIDs look fairly spread out over the number space, whereas I'd
created mine as sequences 1, 2, etc just for testing (padded with
0s).

The slowness in loading was pretty much all CPU, not disk.

Having realised that loading gets slower the further through the
file, I suddenly wondered if Gnucash uses the UUID in memory as
keys in a hash. Whether this is true or not, changing my UUIDs to
"echo $ordinal | md5sum" and everything runs fast again!

Now all I need is a Perl version of the Gnucash UUID generator...
(if anyone has one, please shout!)

Thanks for suggestions that got my brain thinking in this way!
I just need to finish off the converter for bits I missed before,
now (such as transferring customers/vendors/employees etc -
non-accounting data).

Cheers!

--
Matthew