--add-price-quotes only running as root

AmigaPhil AmigaPhil at ping.be
Mon May 11 17:20:38 EDT 2009

Carlos Eduardo Tavares Terra wrote:

> I am having trouble while trying to update quotes from stock market.
> When I try it manually from console, I get this:
>
> [cyyi at mi117091 gnucash]$ gnucash --debug --extra --add-price-quotes eduardo
> Found Finance::Quote version 1.16
> gwenhywfar-INFO: plugin.c:  577: Plugin type "ct" unregistered
> gwenhywfar-INFO: plugin.c:  577: Plugin type "configmgr" unregistered
> gwenhywfar-INFO: plugin.c:  577: Plugin type "dbio" unregistered
>
> But none of my quotes updates.
> When I try as root the same messages are shown, but this time my
> quotes are updated.
>
> Then I have tryed this:
>
> [cyyi at mi117091 gnucash]$ gnc-fq-dump yahoo JFEN3.SA
> No results found for stock JFEN3.SA.
> [cyyi at mi117091 gnucash]$ su -
> [root at mi117091 ~]# gnc-fq-dump yahoo JFEN3.SA
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>     symbol: JFEN3.SA             <=== required
>       date: 05/11/2009           <=== required
>   currency: BRL                  <=== required
>       last: 3.54                 <=\
>        nav:                      <=== one of these
>      price: 3.54                 <=/
>   timezone:                      <=== optional
> [root at mi117091 ~]#
>
> What can it be? Maybe some file permission?

Which version of GnuCash are you using ?
Did --add-price-quotes used to work before ?

Have you updated Finance::Quote recently ?  And if yes, how ?

Quoted from the Concepts Guide:

> 8.6.3.1. Installing Finance::Quote
>
> To install Finance::Quote begin by first closing any GnuCash
> applications you have running. Second, locate the folder where
> GnuCash is installed by searching for "gnc-fq-update" (without
> the quotes). Change to that directory, open a root shell and
> run the command "gnc-fq-update" (without the quotation marks).
> This will launch a Perl CPAN update session that will go out
> onto the Internet and install the Finance::Quote module on your
> system. The gnc-fq-update program is interactive, however, with
> most systems you should be able to answer "no" to the first
> question: "Are you ready for manual configuration? [yes]" and
> the update will continue automatically from that point.
>
> After installation is complete, you should run the "gnc-fq-dump"
> test program, in the same directory, distributed with GnuCash
> to test if Finance::Quote is installed and working properly.

Note that both "gnc-fq-update" and "gnc-fq-dump" are supposed to
be ran from a root shell.  ("gnucash --add-price-quotes" should
work without root priviledges however.)

AmigaPhil