Gnucash preferences not being stored/read

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Apr 27 15:58:56 EDT 2010

John Ralls wrote:

>On Apr 27, 2010, at 7:25 AM, Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

Sorry, I should have stated that I had determined the problem via
testing under a log in that did not have the offending character in its
name (I'm a retired senior systems analyst). Our normal (shared) log in
on this computer is "Mike & Penny" which is legal for Windows but not
gconf (check and you'll see "&" in the list of illegals). So I could
"fix" the problem by convincing my end user worth the trouble (lots of
OTHER path names to change, would mean some hours of work during which
she couldn't use the machine) or set up a log in account just for GnuCash.

However the point is that a "for Windows" version shouldn't depend on
what the user had chosen as a log in name!

Michael

PS -- Have we determined yet if THIS is Mark's problem? I was just
suggesting something to eliminate. Most Windows users didn't choose ID's
that would cause any problem.