New to GnuCash

Colin Law clanlaw at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 10 16:31:15 EDT 2011

On 10 August 2011 20:43, Robert Carroll <rcarroll at seeklocate.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am setting up GnuCash for the first time on my Ubuntu small business
> network.  So each work station is based on the Ubuntu OS, there are 3 in
> total.  I want to use MySQL which is on my Ubuntu server to manage the data
> and each work station to access that data.  I am not finding a best practice
> guide on how to set up something like this through my google searches, can
> someone point me in the right direction.  What I would like to know is do I
> need a .sql that will setup the tables and then connect to the sql server
> from each WS?  Do i install GnuCash on each WS and then setup a connection
> to the SQL db from there If so where do I setup that connection and is there
> any suggestions for setting up that connection?  Each WS is on the same lan.

Firstly, do you realise that GnuCash does not support mutli-user
access to the data, even when using MySQL?

Assuming that is understood, then install GC on each workstation, then
on one of them create the initial set of accounts, and when saving it
select mysql as the type, your server as the server, enter a database
name then username and password as appropriate.  Then to use it on
another workstation do File Open and select mysql and the rest and off
you go.

Colin