libdbi for postgresql

James Wilde james.wilde at sunde-wilde.com
Wed Aug 24 16:30:55 EDT 2011

Thanks for your reply, Bunk3m.  Rest inline.

On Aug 24, 2011, at 13:13 , bunk3m wrote:

> James, over the long run sqlite3 will be easier to use than postgres.

That's interesting.  I'm not a db man, but I've heard of postgres, mysql,
oracle, but I'd never heard of sqlite3 until I started looking into
Gnucash.  I quickly found a guide to using postgres with Gnucash, but
I've not stumbled over any guides to using sqlite3.  Maybe you have a
url or two?

> I think using postgres is a bit of overkill (like storing Quicken data
> in Oracle, perhaps).

For a non-db man, I agree.  Using any sql database is overkill.  It's
just that, whilst Gnucash is the best accounting app in the world for
getting data in, I think even learning postgres will prove easier than
trying to get decent reports from the non-db (i.e. xml) backend.
Although now I've got reports in my locale format, the xml backend
might be less of a pain.

> But if you want to run postgres, you can find the installer packages at:
> http://www.postgresql.org/download/macosx
> I'm not sure if libdbi is included.  You can probably find out by
> reading the package list.

Thanks for the tip.  I looked now, and found them under the postgres
directory ALONG WITH A DOCUMENT ENTITLED "Gnucash 2-4-7 OSX Readme"!  I'm
going to have a look at that as soon as I've finished this email.

> You can also install the libdbi if you use Fink or Macports.  But then
> you have to install one of those two environments.

That's what I wanted to avoid.  Once upon a time my first move when
installing a new Solaris or linux machine was to install a development
environment, with gcc and all the goodies.  I haven't needed this on my
Mac, and I was hoping I wouldn't need it now.

> Good luck!
>
> PS sqlite3 is installed on the Mac by default and updated by the OS so
> it is easier to manage and use.  You can access the database manually
> using a jdbc driver and using some SQL front end like DbVisualizer.

Not apparently on my Mac Mini running Lion.  I did a search of the
entire hard disk for sqlite3, earlier today, and the only thing it found
was a couple of files in a download I made from (I think) source forge
yesterday.

Regards,

//James