importing previously exported accounts

ij ian.2sheds at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 12:05:45 EST 2011

Hi there
apologies if this is a known issue, but I'm stuck. I was running gnucash
2.3.1 on a windows 7 machine and decided to upgrade to the latest stable
version 2.4.0, before upgrading I did an export accounts to a second drive.
I then did the upgrade to 2.4, the installer said it would do an uninstall
but my data would be safe. After the install had completed on first run I
got a message saying that the file in the default search path could not be
parsed. I then tried to import the file I exported but this doesn't seem to
work. I've tried every choice in the drop down but cannot get my data back.
I've tried file open but every file I try to open gives my the cannot parse
error message.
So I'm looking at down grading back to 2.3.1 hoping it picks up my data,
doing a save as and then upgrading and trying again, or starting again. I'm
keeping my fingers crossed and hoping someone out there can assist me.