importing previously exported accounts

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 14:54:22 EST 2011

See below...

--- On Sat, 2/19/11, ij <ian.2sheds at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: ij <ian.2sheds at gmail.com>
> Subject: importing previously exported accounts
> To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
> Date: Saturday, February 19, 2011, 9:05 AM
>
> Hi there
> apologies if this is a known issue, but I'm stuck. I was
> running gnucash
> 2.3.1 on a windows 7 machine and decided to upgrade to the
> latest stable
> version 2.4.0, before upgrading I did an export accounts to
> a second drive.

Export Accounts on the file menu ONLY exports the account names--not your transactions.

> I then did the upgrade to 2.4, the installer said it would
> do an uninstall
> but my data would be safe. After the install had completed
> on first run I
> got a message saying that the file in the default search
> path could not be
> parsed.

You may be in trouble:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_can.27t_GnuCash_find_my_data_file_anymore.3F__It_just_says:_parser_error_:_Start_tag_expected.2C_.27.3C.27_not_found

I sincerely hope you have a backup somewhere.

> I then tried to import the file I exported but this
> doesn't seem to
> work. I've tried every choice in the drop down but cannot
> get my data back.
> I've tried file open but every file I try to open gives my
> the cannot parse
> error message.
> So I'm looking at down grading back to 2.3.1 hoping it
> picks up my data,
> doing a save as and then upgrading and trying again, or
> starting again. I'm
> keeping my fingers crossed and hoping someone out there can
> assist me.

Final point: 2.3.1 was an early DEVELOPMENT version, which means that you were (apparently unwittingly) serving as a beta tester for the now-released 2.4 stable release of Gnucash. The development versions made no claim to the safety of your data.

I do hope you can retrieve your data, but it may be a lost cause.

David