Reconcile question

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sat Jan 8 13:32:25 EST 2011

On Jan 8, 2011, at 9:10 AM, Chris Harris wrote:

> I seem to have an issue with the opening balance in a checking account
> when I choose reconcile.
>
> All transactions for the month and prior month are reconciled.  They
> show a Y in the R column in the ledger.  The balance for the beginning
> of the month is correct in the ledger.  When I choose reconcile, the
> beginning balance is off by 13,176.94.  Other discussions I have seen
> on this topic try to correct this by entering an offsetting
> transaction, but as I said, my balance is correct in the ledger.  Any
> suggestions on how I can correct this?
>
> Using Ubuntu 10.10 and the Standard Ubuntu distribution of gnucash v  2.2.9.

The starting balance is the ending balance the last time you reconciled. You can calculate it by looking at the last reconciled transaction: Note the balance and the date. Look in the reconcile window for any transactions that show up before that date and adjust the balance by those transactions, subbtracting unreconciled income and adding unreconciled expenses.

Regards,
John Ralls