windows/sqlite3 issue

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 12 09:23:09 EST 2011

Aaron Wiebe <epiphani at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:11 PM, Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
> z> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, January 9, 2011 5:14 pm, Aaron Wiebe wrote:
>>> Short version:
>>>
>>> Attempting to open an sqlite3 database I was previously using gives
>>> the error "Can't parse the URL
>>> file://C:\Users\epiphani\.gnucash\books\2010-home.gnucash."
>>>
>>> Long version:
>>>
>>> I had to reinstall due to melting a MB, and I copied the data files
>>> forward and reinstalled gnucash 2.4.0.  I cannot seem to open either
>>> the current sqlite database I created, or the old one.  Both provide
>>> that error.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts?  Please cc me in reply since I'm not subscribed to this
>>> list.
>>
>> You don't say what OS/Distro you are using, but it's possible that you
>> neglected to install the appropriate libdbi DB Drivers?  In particular,
>> maybe you're missing the sqlite dbd?
>
> Apologies - Windows 7 pro.  I was using the default installation, and
> was able to _create_ a new sqlite datastore.  Obviously windows
> debugging is rather difficult.  Is there a way to enable logging or a
> debug mode I could use?

OH!  I see the problem!   You stored your data file in your .gnucash
directory!  I'm sorry to say but your data is gone, overwritten by
gnucash's meta data.  See the FAQ:  http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_can.27t_GnuCash_find_my_data_file_anymore.3F__It_just_says:_parser_error_:_Start_tag_expected.2C_.27.3C.27_not_found

I'm afraid you will need to start over again and this time try saving
your data to a non '.gnucash' directory.