windows/sqlite3 issue

Elizabeth Dodd edodd at billiau.net
Thu Jan 13 03:13:15 EST 2011

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:23:09 -0500
Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:

> OH!  I see the problem!   You stored your data file in your .gnucash
> directory!  I'm sorry to say but your data is gone, overwritten by
> gnucash's meta data.  See the FAQ:
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_can.27t_GnuCash_find_my_data_file_anymore.3F__It_just_says:_parser_error_:_Start_tag_expected.2C_.27.3C.27_not_found
>
> I'm afraid you will need to start over again and this time try saving
> your data to a non '.gnucash' directory.

Obviously one never gets caught here more than once but...

Thoughts on this

1. Why does gnucash reinstall / upgrade write over the my_data file? Is
this necessary?
2. Should upgrade script firmly remind someone to save / backup to
removable media before proceeding?
3. Should a *new* install suggest a default place to save data so those
who just save to /home/me/somewhere find their data in /home/me/gnucash
and those who wish to make a different choice are free to do so?

any one of these three paths would help people out of this situation
I once lost 7 months of data between backups and recreating the files
was sad.