Posted invoice 'memo' field

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 10 09:49:02 EDT 2011

Hi,

Nik <gnucash at babel.homelinux.net> writes:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Thank you for your explanation. I had no idea that "Accumulate Splits"
> affected the handling of invoice notes and the memo field.

It doesn't handle the invoice notes, per se.  What "Accumulate Splits"
does is combine all the Invoice Line-items destined for a single account
into a single Split to that account.  If you uncheck this item then
you'll get a transaction that is a 1:1 mapping of Line-Item -> Split.
In this latter case of the huge Split Transaction the posting will copy
the Line-Item description into the Split memo.

> So for the moment, I guess I need to understand the "Accumulate
> Splits" option better to determine whether I really want it enabled or
> not. :o)
>
> I left it checked because:
> a) it was enabled by default
> b) it sounded like a reasonable thing
> c) when I first tried it, it seemed to produce the correct results in
> the actual transactions (or at least, did not generate incorrect
> results). :o)

The option exists because early on some people wanted to see the full
split transaction in their CoA instead of the shortened version.  In my
case I didn't care that an invoice had 20 Income:Sales items, I just
wanted a single Income:Sales split (Accumulate Splits).  In my case this
would give me a basic transaction, which is what I wanted.

> Thanks again for the explanation :o)
>
> Sadly, I can't yet understand how your suggestion would work - but on
> first reading, it seems that I would lose the feature I really want -
> which is that information I enter when I create an invoice is visible
> in the A/R once the invoice has been posted.

I'm not sure it does.  At this point there is no way to get your Invoice
Notes into the transaction in the CoA.

> I'll have a play with GnuCash and the various posting options to
> further understand this behaviour.
>
> Cheers!
> Nik

-derek