Members Only

Geert Janssens janssens-geert at telenet.be
Tue May 17 03:37:50 EDT 2011

On dinsdag 17 mei 2011, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> On Mon, 16 May 2011 14:39:27 -0700
>
> Joseph Smith <jsmithlivermore at pacbell.net> wrote:
> > I've either stepped of on the wrong foot, or the help request
> > interface is significantly deficient.
> >
> >     * ** |<gnucash-user at gnucash.org <mailto:gnucash-user at gnucash.org>>
> >
> >       gets me this email form|
> >
> >     * ** |<gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
> >
> > <mailto:gnucash-devel at gnucash.org>> gets me to an email form that
> > appears to be appropriate should I volunteer to be a developer|
> >
> >     * irc.gnome.org takes me to what appears to be an arcane download
> >
> > site.
> >
> >     * The *|GnuCash|* web site <http://www.gnucash.org> link doesn't
> >
> > work
> >
> > So, sent a question the the user address and got the response that
> > I'll need to wait for a moderator to adjudicate a non-member access
> > to a members only site.
> >
> > I am attempting to use GnuCash and have some challenges in making it
> > work.
> >
> > I don't remember running across a "sign-up" button allowing me to
> > participate in discussions.
> >
> > If I indeed took the wrong path please point me in the right
> > direction. If not, I submit updates in the help request tools are in
> > order.  Please implement at least a "Sign Up" function to allow folks
> > to join rather than getting the "members only" message.  I am sure
> > the message is intended to be sincere, I took it the wrong way and
> > felt insulted -- particularly after enduring a frustrating series of
> > crashes.
> >
> > Sincerely.
> > Joseph A. Smith
>
> G'day Joseph
>
> You have approached the nabble interface to a mailing list. We don't
> control the nabble interface, only the mailing list.
> I'm the human who (currently) lets messages pass. I check twice a day,
> so there is a delay in the system.
>
> There is not a way that we have been able to influence the way nabble
> presents the mailing list to advise that there is a block before
> posting a message.
> Perhaps if more people notified nabble of the trouble they would
> consider putting an appropriate notice on their site.
>
> Liz
Joseph,

In addition to Elizabeth's answer, I'll hereby provide you the link to our web
page regarding the mailing lists. You can subscribe to one of the GnuCash
mailing lists starting from here:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists

The irc link can be used from a special irc client. You webbrowser can't
handle that. This wikipedia page gives you more infor on irc:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irc
You can skip the technical details, but it does explain irc and points at some
clients you can install on your pc.

Geert