quick question

Yawar Amin yawar.amin at gmail.com
Sun Sep 25 22:33:43 EDT 2011

Hi Steve,

I'm forwarding your query to the GnuCash users mailing list, which is a
public discussion forum. You can participate in the forum by using the
someone in the list. See below for my answer attempt, with the disclaimer
that I've never done a QIF import (but you can probably find QIF import help
on the www.gnucash.org website, documentation section).

On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Steven Doig <steve at doig.com.au> wrote:

> Hi Yawar
>
> I have a quick question about GnuCash I hope you can answer.
>
> I have started GnuCash for the first time, and selected the standard simple
> setup.
>
> I then imported some QIF files I downloaded today.  During the import
> process, GnuCash asked me to name the account, which I named Bankname
> Savings.  The QIF files contain credit, debits, and transfers.  I
> categorised the majority of the transactions during the import, and some
> were left Unspecified.
>
> I can see the transactions I imported in each Account type, and they look
> fine.  However, there is also the top level account called Bankname
> Savings.  This account contains transactions which have the correct account
> type/category listed in the Transfer column of the view of Bankname
> Savings.  If I right-click on such a transaction, I can choose Jump, to jump
> to the corresponding transaction in the other Account category I specified
> during import.
>
> Does this Bankname Savings need to be edited to become a child of Assets?

That's what I'd do if these were my accounts. But it's upto you to have the
accounts structure you prefer.

> Why are transactions listed under both the categorised accounts I specified
> during import, and Bankname Savings, which is the name I was prompted to
> specify during import?

That's just normal double-entry accounting at work. You're seeing
transactions inside the two different `T-accounts' in which they appear.
GnuCash calls a T-account an `account register', and displays it as the list
of transactions you see. Each transaction has still been recorded only once.

> Thank you,
>
> Steve Doig

HTH,

Yawar