Unable to receive quote for CURRENCY:EUR

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Feb 5 19:15:40 EST 2012

On Feb 5, 2012, at 2:03 PM, Mike Alexander wrote:

> --On February 5, 2012 1:40:30 AM -0500 Mike Alexander <mta at umich.edu> wrote:
>
>> --On February 3, 2012 11:54:34 AM -0500 David Reiser
>> <dbreiser at earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>> It looks like finance-quote is having troubles with all currencies
>>> today -- which suggests yahoo has done something again. Last time we
>>> had a disruption, it went away in a day. We'll see.
>>
>> Yahoo changed their website and since finance quote works by screen
>> scraping it any change is likely to break it.  Actually finance quote
>> uses two different URLs to get currency quotes.  One of them changed
>> several months ago and it fell back to the other.  That one changed
>> on Feb. 1 so it didn't work either.
>>
>> I've attached a zip file that contains two patches.  The first one
>> fixes both of these URLs to work again.  The second is an unrelated
>> change that makes very small exchange rates work better.  For example
>> the KRW to USD exchange rate was 1 krw = 0.0009 usd before the change
>> and it's 1 krw = 0.00089656 usd after.
>>
>> I've submitted these to the finance quote site, but I doubt much will
>> happen with them.  Other patches submitted over a year ago have never
>> been applied to the repository and there hasn't been a new version in
>> over two years.
>
> I just realized that there is an earlier patch to Quote.pm that must be applied before these two.  I've attached it to this message.  This patch is so old that I thought it was already in F::Q, but it's not even in the GIT repository yet.  It was originally produced on April 26, 2010 by Stian Soiland-Reyes and is described in a message to the F::Q mailing list which is archived at <http://sourceforge.net/mailarc hive/forum.php?thread_name=j2l 68db3ea71004261347lac34e2c6q5f 6dd0ef978ee782%40mail.gmail.co m&forum_name=finance-quote-dev el>. Sorry for the confusion.  I just attached it to the bug report at <https://rt.cpan.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=56469>.

The last release of FQ on CPAN was 5 years ago. While Paul Fenwick created a repo on Github sometime after that, he hasn't done a release to CPAN and hasn't pushed a commit in almost a year. Looks to me that if we want to keep using this we're going to have to take it over and either someone's got to get privs on CPAN to do releases or we've got to figure out some other way.to distribute it that the Linux distros will find acceptable.

Regards,
John Ralls