Compression

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Sat Feb 11 12:15:19 EST 2012

"Dustin Henning" <The00Dustin at gmx.net> writes:

> For the record, 7zip has a gzip option (along with several others), this is
> the option I used.  Maybe the file is tarballed before it is  gzipped?
> Otherwise the specific settings matter.  Regardless, it occurred to me after
> I sent the e-mail that I could open, save, and delete the uncompressed copy.

I don't know what 7zip does.  It is possible that it uses some container
inside the gzip, which would cause GnuCash to barf.  The easiest thing
to do is, again, just have GnuCash open the uncompressed file, and then
when it writes back out it'll compress it again for you.  You do not
need to re-compress the file yourself; GnuCash can read uncompressed
data even if the preference for compression is on.