Compression

Dustin Henning The00Dustin at gmx.net
Sun Feb 12 00:53:29 EST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: Derek Atkins [mailto:warlord at MIT.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2012 12:15
To: The00Dustin at gmx.net
Cc: 'Dustin Henning'; gnucash-user at lists.gnucash.org
Subject: Re: Compression

I don't know what 7zip does.  It is possible that it uses some container
inside the gzip, which would cause GnuCash to barf.  The easiest thing to do
is, again, just have GnuCash open the uncompressed file, and then when it
writes back out it'll compress it again for you.  You do not need to
re-compress the file yourself; GnuCash can read uncompressed data even if
the preference for compression is on.

For the record, I meant maybe GnuCash tarballs the file, and I doubt 7zip
does.  However, for the purpose of my original question, you could forget
about 7zip and tell me how I would do this if I had gzip built on Windows
(or if I was using Linux, I mean, if gzip's default settings in Linux would
make a file that GnuCash could open, I could work from that).  Also, to be
clear, I already knew I could open the uncompressed XML file in GnuCash
without changing anything (I thought I acknowledged this the first time you
pointed it out).  I asked about the compression primarily out of curiosity,
and if you don't respond to this post because you can't tell me, that's no
big deal, as it's obviously not a critical thing.  Thanks,
	Dustin