Using Customer or Vendor accounts to track donations

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 20 13:30:09 EST 2012

I used gnucash for donor receipting last year. My accounting background consists of taking accounting 101 at the local community college.

I organized the accounts using "asset" accounts for the income categories and "income" accounts for the donors. I then wrote two small programs/scripts to produce the output I needed. One program summarized the income in CSV files (one by week, one by month; neither identifying donors). The other program produced donor statements, one HTML file per donor. I used firefox (along with cups-pdf and the 'Universal Print' addon) to produce PDF files which I am retaining and I printed to mail and can send to donors who want an electronic copy.

I am willing to share the code with anyone who wants it.  Be advised that the code is specific to the reports and statements I needed.

-Derrick