Encoding problems - MySql backend

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Jan 20 16:16:13 EST 2012

On Jan 20, 2012, at 12:58 PM, Bernardo Romero wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Today, without having made any changes to my PC, I started having funny
> characters where accented Spanish characters used to be. It looks like at
> least one of the server/schema/table/field collation settings was corrupted
> at some point. However, everything looks correctly set to UTF8_general_CI.
> I will try and change the characters back using SQL, but I wanted to know
> whether somebody had this kind of problem before.
>
> I'm using Gnucash 2.4.6 with a MySQL server 5.1.42

We saw a similar problem a few weeks ago with a new MySQL database which had been created with the default encoding (which is swedish-latin1). We don't know why, but this doesn't work: The DB must be created with utf-8 for the encoding.

In your case, though, it was an existing DB and nothing at all changed either with the server or Gnucash, correct?

Regards,
John Ralls