gnucash won't start up

Roger aretae at magma.ca
Mon May 28 07:10:37 EDT 2012

I have Kubuntu 12.10 (not intentional) and gnucash 2.4.10 through the
repository which used to work with Kubuntu 11.04.

Now it quits on startup with the following message:

gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libgnc-gnome.so.0: cannot

When I tried it on another laptop with Kubuntu 12.04 and gnucash 2.4.10
from the repository which also used to work with Kubuntu 11.04

It didn't start either displaying a similar message:

gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libguile.so.12: cannot

Googling doesn't provide any clues so I would appreciate some help in
resolving these issues.

Roger