gnucash won't start up

Carson Chittom carson at wistly.net
Mon May 28 08:43:19 EDT 2012

Roger <aretae at magma.ca> writes:

> I have Kubuntu 12.10 (not intentional) and gnucash 2.4.10 through the
> repository which used to work with Kubuntu 11.04.
>
> Now it quits on startup with the following message:
>
> gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libgnc-gnome.so.0:
>
> When I tried it on another laptop with Kubuntu 12.04 and gnucash
> 2.4.10 from the repository which also used to work with Kubuntu 11.04
>
> It didn't start either displaying a similar message:
>
> gnucash: error while loading shared libraries: libguile.so.12: cannot
>
> Googling doesn't provide any clues so I would appreciate some help in
> resolving these issues.

Sounds like somehow the libraries Gnucash depends on got removed.  Probably the
easiest way to fix this would be to uninstall Gnucash and reinstall it,
which should automatically download and install those libraries.[1]  I'm
not familiar with Ubuntu in particular, but you should be able to use
its normal method for uninstalling and installing software.

Alternatively, since Ubuntu is based on Debian, you could open a
terminal window and run:

$ sudo apt-get uninstall gnucash && sudo apt-get install gnucash

[1] Of course, you could also simply track down each library Gnucash is
complaining it can't find and install them individually.