complete beginner

Gregory Forster fgreg74 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 6 23:14:27 EDT 2015

Hi Janet,

     I used to run Peachtree Complete Accounting 2008 for both
businesses. As with your version of Quickbooks, Peachtree 2008 was also
incompatible with Windows 7, (except for Professional with a Virtual
Environment).  I was tired of having to spend hundreds of dollars every
time I had to upgrade.   I pondered using GNUcash and finally was
determined to actually use it, no matter.  Nothing in Peachtree was able
to be directly imported into GNUcash.  So I had an old Windows XP
machine and printed out COAs, General Ledgers, Balance Sheets, Income
Statements, etc. from Peachtree and used those printouts to start from
scratch, GNUcash.  I used Quicken for my personal finances.  Quicken
will export QIF files that GNUcash can import.  I heard that Quicken was
totally incompatible with Quickbooks, so you may have to do what I did.
It was a real pain at first, but I love it now.  I have GNUcash 2.4.13
on a Windows 7 64bit Home  Premium laptop and GNUcash 2.4.13 on a
Windows 7 64bit Professional on my desktop.  Unfortunatelly GNUcash does
not do the calculations for Payroll, or Depreciation.  However all the
Assets, Contra Asset, Expense and Liability accounts can be set up in
GNUcash.  I use LibreOffice 4.2.2.1 "CALC" Spreadsheet to do the actual
calculations for both Payroll and Depreciation.  LibreOffice is also
open source software.  The newer versions of LibreOffice and GNUcash I
have installed on my wife's Windows 8.1 touch screen 64bit laptop.

Greg