[GNC] QUESTION: transaction classes (tags) like QuickBooks?

D. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 22 08:20:41 EDT 2020

Zi,

Welcome to the world of GnuCash. As a user of GnuCash for nearly 15 years, I can tell you that it's a feature-rich application with a great user community.

Unfortunately, "classes" is not one of those features. It has been discussed for as long as I can remember (e.g., https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2001-October/002612.html, https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2007-July/020856.html, https://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2010-December/037498.html), and users have an established request for it to be added (see https://gnucash.uservoice.com/forums/101223-feature-request/suggestions/1543027-transaction-classifications).

The developers are aware of these requests and discussions, but have not to date found time to implement the feature. Since this is a volunteer-run open source project, we accept both the limitations of the program and the input of interested parties who may be able to add a given feature such as this to the program. Examining the threads through the years will yield a number of workarounds that users have cobbled together.

Despite its limitations, GnuCash remains for me a powerful and useful program. I heartily recommend it.

David T.