[GNC] How to record payments for several items paid with a single transaction?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sun Jul 23 04:34:27 EDT 2023

On Sat, Jul 22, 2023 at 05:50:47PM -0400, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:

> > But what if one has cash from two collections to go to the same account.
> > I.e.  a collection on 22nd July and a collection on 29th July both
> > paid in at the same time?
> >
> First of all, you are perhaps confusing when money/cash/check received
> with when deposited.
>
> Let's say the following events:
>
> a) 7/14   check $100 for building fund
>
> b) 7/15   check $50   general donation
>
> c) 7/16   collection plate$47.45
>
> d) 7/17   deposited these checks and cash to the bank account
>
> The ley thing to keep in mind is that the bank deposit date has nothing
> to do with when "cash" was received. There are FOUR separate events
> here, three receipts of cash (if normally no "cash box" might call tat
> account "undepositied funds") and each of these credited to the
> appropriate income account and then a fourth transaction transferring
> the undeposaited funds to the bank account.
>
> Is the source of confusion that you are e=required to list each check
> separately on the deposit ticket? THAT has nothing to do with your books
> (nor is it reflected in your bank statement. Think of that as just
> rechecking your sums.

I suspect you are suggesting that there should be an account called
'cash in hand' or something similar.  That doesn't exist and isn't
going to exist, for my trivially simple accounting system (which
satisfies both the accountant and the Diocese) it just complicates
things.

I simply want to be able to able to have (conceptually) a multi-line
entry in the income sub-account called 'Collections at services' which
records two (or maybe more) amounts of cash paid in at one time.

--
Chris Green