[GNC] How to record payments for several items paid with a single transaction?

Fred Bone Fred at mandfb.me.uk
Sun Jul 23 07:02:25 EDT 2023

On 23 July 2023 at 9:34, Chris Green said:

[...]
> I simply want to be able to able to have (conceptually) a multi-line
> entry in the income sub-account called 'Collections at services' which
> records two (or maybe more) amounts of cash paid in at one time.

But aren't you supposed to record each collection separately for GASDS
purposes? What happens if the two weeks are in different tax years?

AIUI you should be counting each bagged-up collection separately. It's
then a simple matter to record it as a txn from "Collection Income" to
"Money awaiting deposit", plus (I assume) another from "Envelope Income"
(or is it someone else's job to reconcile envelope contents against
people's promises?).

Then at pay-in-to-the-bank time, you have one txn from "Money awaiting
deposit" to "Bank".

This ensures that your books record what happened when, which is after
all the whole point.

If I were doing it, I'd keep separate "Cash awaiting deposit" and
"Cheques awaiting deposit" subaccounts, but that's probably not
essential. It would, however, make it easier to double-check the figures
on the paying-in slip, which I why I adopt that approach in my role as
area treasurer of a small charity.