[GNC] Delete, copy and paste to fix mistakes?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Nov 19 14:13:55 EST 2023

While you are learning GnuCash (and accounting) I recommend:

1. Turning on Formal Accounting Labels
     Preferences > Accounts > Labels > Use formal accounting labels

2. Turning on Transaction Journal View
     Preferences > Register Defaults > Default Style > Transaction Journal

3. Turning on Double-Line Mode
     Preferences > Register Defaults > Other Defaults > Double line view

4. Find a basic accounting text online, or buy one for reference
     https://www.principlesofaccounting.com/

5. Record transactions in the account where the money comes 'from'.

6. Record transactions as soon as you can after they occur.

7. Record as much information as you can using Description, Notes (only
visible in Double Line Mode) and Memo fields.

8. Don't combine receipts with multiple line-items into a single split.

#1–3 will be useful for facilitating your learning from the #4 text
references. Those options will also allow you to see all-at-once, all of
a transaction's info/data as close as you can get to a spreadsheet or
text file. (with a caveat for the special Business Features, though
there are ways to see most/all of that too, just not in one place)

#5 will help you keep straight the idea that money always flows *from*
one (or more) accounts *to* one (or more) other accounts. It never
appears or vanishes from/to thin air.

Alternatively, if you don't want to be restricted in the visible
accounts, enter transactions using Tools > General Journal, but do note
that it is limited by default to only 30 days (changeable, but you have
to do so each run) and using it can certainly lead to some confusion if
you are still learning the 'flow' of money.

#6 is important to prevent a pile-up of data to enter, and makes the
task less daunting. I try to enter transactions daily if possible.
Frequent entry also facilitates #7, because info about the transaction
is freshest in your mind.

#7 is important for general documentation reasons, and is always good
habit, but this is especially true when learning accounting and GnuCash
as you will invariably adjust your Chart of Accounts over time and will
very likely desire to re-assign entire transactions, or even just one or
two splits of a transaction to a different account. With the info at
hand, you can make a better decision in those cases. I use the
Description for the Payee/Payor (who the money goes to, or comes from),
the Notes field for general transaction info, and the Memo fields for
anything specific to that split line.

#8 is also important for the same reasons. If you combine line items
now, and later decide to separate them, if you don't have the individual
amounts and a good Memo description, you can't. Autofill works wonders
in GnuCash. Yes, initially you will be doing lots of typing, but this
will drastically fall off over time.

-----

As others noted, the default data store is XML. Stick with that for now.
(GnuCash only uses db backends as a data store that is read entirely
into memory like with XML, it is not a real database application, yet.)

-----

Concerning 'immutability' there is no such thing if you have sufficient
access and knowledge to manipulate files. You impose your own rules on
yourself in this regard. (unless you have an outside 'controller'
individual that you have to verify and report to)

In the old days, one of these controls was to use ink, not pencil to
record transactions. This necessitated correcting entries, rather than
editing. Original errors are preserved and then later corrected and
explained. You can still work this way if you like, but you also have
the flexibility to just edit the original transaction too. Since my
books are for me and no one else, I just edit in place. But if I did
have to report to someone else, I'd use correcting entries.

Regards,
Adrien