[GNC] GnuCash_user: rounding errors and significant digits

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Fri Oct 6 13:02:42 EDT 2023

> On Oct 6, 2023, at 9:39 AM, Bruce McCoy via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Everyone,
> On Tue, Sep 26 at 12:50 PM John Ralls wrote:        >GnuCash uses a pair of stack-allocated 128-bit integers (see. . .
>
> Thanks. Well done.
>

> What are the plans to help our users whose books are out of balance by a cent or so?

GnuCash's rounding isn't likely to put books out of balance because GnuCash forces transactions to be balance in the transaction currency. Book out of balance, meaning that the trial balance report doesn't balance with the Average Cost price source, nearly always results from not computing capital gains/losses correctly. Interpret that broadly: Computing cost of goods sold is the same calculation by a different name and often crossing more transaction steps. GnuCash automates only the simplest case via the lot scrubber so it's pretty much up to the user to be meticulous when creating those splits/transactions.

Regards,
John Ralls