[GNC] Securities transactions, not Trial Balance [was: Re: GnuCash_user: rounding errors and significant digits]

Jim DeLaHunt list+gnucash at jdlh.com
Sun Oct 8 18:28:00 EDT 2023

I fear that Bruce McCoy pushed this thread astray by introducing the
phrase "books… out of balance". This moved the topic from GnuCash
handling of securities transactions to GnuCash handling of the Trial
Balance.

On 2023-10-06 09:39, Bruce McCoy via gnucash-user wrote:
> What are the plans to help our users whose books are out of balance by a cent or so? ...

Then John Ralls, and others, headed off in that direction:

On 2023-10-06 10:02, John Ralls wrote:
> GnuCash's rounding isn't likely to put books out of balance because GnuCash forces transactions to be balance in the transaction currency. Book out of balance, meaning that the trial balance report doesn't balance with the Average Cost price source, nearly always results from not computing capital gains/losses correctly.

That led to discussion of cost of goods sold, and GnuCash not having
support for cost accounting, and so on.

The digression does not strike me as helping Bruce understand what many
on this list are trying to explain to him.