Reconciliation in 1.4.3, and other issues

Terry tboldt@attglobal.net
Sat, 5 Aug 2000 15:03:01 -0400

On Sat, 05 Aug 2000, you wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Aug 2000 06:52:37 Dave Peticolas wrote:
> > Adrian Cox writes:
> > > Are there any cases in which the starting balance should not be equal to
> > > the cleared balance?
> >
> > Yes, when you have transactions that have cleared the bank, but you
> > haven't reconciled them yet.

Now that I have switched to an on-line bank and my account transactions are
available 24x7 there seems to be less difference between "cleared" and
"reconciled". With monthly statements only, "cleared" and "reconciled" were
always the same (well, almost, I could walk into the branch office and ask
which checks were cleared). With push-button telephone access to the account
and monthly statements, there was a distinct difference between "cleared" and
"reconciled". With on-line banking, I can get a "statement" daily and reconcile
my account (I do it weekly).

When/if on-line banking becomes the norm, it would seem that the difference
would disappear.