new text format for HTML files?

Dave Peticolas peticola@krondo.com
Sun, 13 Aug 2000 16:34:33 -0700

Yannick LE NY writes:
> Hello Dave,
>
> Now, the english HTML files are in SGML.
> For the next update for french HTML files, do you want it in SGML or in
> HTML?
> For me translate the HTML files in french take a long time, if I need to
> learn SGML
> I need more time to release at the beginning these files but if it is
> necessary, I learn it.
> Because it will be a future standard(see below)
> >DocBook/XML.  Dan's summary of the Documentation Summit is at
> >http://mail.gnome.org/pipermail/gnome-doc-list/2000-July/001502.html
>
> And I will need these packages below or others:
>
> >And making that all work out normally requires three packages:
> >   a) Jade/OpenJade
> >   b) DocBook DTD
> >   c) Norm Walsh's Modular Style Sheets
> >which are all available in RPM and .deb form.
>
> But how do you have transfer the HTML files in SGML files.
> Is there any text editor for natural entry and output in SGML?

We need it in SGML, but Christopher Browne has a utility to convert
html->docbook. He's going to apply this to the French documentation
as well so you have something to start from.

Do you already have some new html docs? If so, send them to me so
Christopher can use the updated versions to create the docbook forms.

After that, you can edit the sgml directly. I recommend using emacs
which has a good sgml mode for editing files.

dave