Compiled for CygWin?

Gaurang Hirpara ghirpara@home.com
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 06:31:57 -0400

Dave Peticolas wrote:

> Gaurang Hirpara writes:
> >
> > Has any of the GnuCash code been compiled for CygWin32?
>
> I am not aware of any attempts at this. What is involved
> in doing that?

 I'm mainly talking about getting the non-GUI portion to
 compile under CygWin. The Engine I think. Since the
 seperation between GUI and Engine is sharp, I was thinking
 of building an Engine as a service that could be accessed
 by say a Java GUI front end. I'm just having some trouble
 getting configure to run the whole way through, and was
 wondering if someone had made the tweaks to get the system
 compileable, at least the Engine part, under Cygwin.

> > I'm starting to look at doing that and wondering if
> > someone has done it already. Also, and this may be
> > totally out of line, but are there any plans to make
> > (re)write the code in an OO fashion at some future date?
>
> What do you mean by 'OO fashion'? The codebase is currently divided
> into several modules and there is emphasis on separating API and
> implementation. Portions of the GUI use the GTK object system. There
> are plans to sharpen the line between modules and to add additional
> abstraction layers for things like currencies and commodity
> information.  There are no plans to rewrite in an 'OO language'.

 Right. My main point there was that a lot of the modualarity and
 abstraction seems to fit well into an OO model. For example the
 notion of an Account as an object that can be built on for
 different account types, a Transaction as an action object, etc. It
 would make things a little simpler when stringing the components
 into a service based architecture like CORBA/RMI/or even Jini. I
 make no claim that it's particularly useful to do so, just something
 I thought might be cool. :-)

 --dan

--
-----