gtkhtml_mystery

David Bobroff bobroff@centrum.is
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 15:04:28 +0100

Bill Gribble wrote:

>> # gnome-config --libs gtkhtml
>> -rdynamic -L/usr/lib -L/usr/X11R6/lib
>> -lgtkhtml -lgdk_pixbuf -ltiff -ljpeg -lpng -lgnomeprint -lgnomeui
>> -lart_lgpl -lgdk_imlib -lSM -lICE -lgtk -lgdk -lgmodule -lXi -lXext -lX11
>> -lgnome -lgnomesupport -lesd -laudiofile -lm -ldb -lglib -ldl -lxml -lz
>> -lgconf -lgconf-gtk
>>
>Well, that looks reasonable.  Now you have to really start digging :(
>
>Look in the 'config.log' file generated during a failed configure run.
>It will show the C program that it tried to compile and summarize what
>happened.  If it's not clear from the log what the error was,
>cut-n-paste the C program into a separate file and compile it by hand.
>That's usually very diagnostic.

Dave Peticolas has been helping me out off-list on this problem.  We
already did the hand compilation of that C program.

Doing that results in:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdk_pixbuf
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

...and...

ls -l /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf*

gives me:

/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf.so.2 /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf.so.2.0.0

Which led Dave Peticolas to believe that gdk-pixbuf-devel is not installed
because I'm apparently missing:

/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf.a
/usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf.so

I do indeed have gdk-pixbuf-devel installed, however, and I have even
uninstalled/reinstalled to no effect.  For what it's worth the packages I
have are:

gdk-pixbuf-0.8.0-0_helix_1
gdk-pixbuf-devel-0.8.0-0_helix_1

Thanks,