Multi-user gnucash

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 15:42:24 +1100

Rich Shepard writes:
 >   I have gnucash installed and running on the server. (I downloaded the
 > helix code base and that made all the necessary libraries available.)
 >
 >   Now, I want to make the application available to the other workstation on
 > the network. My wife is the company administrator and will be taking over
 > maintaining our personal books, too. She works on a networked host, not on
 > the main machine at which I sit for many hours each day.
 >
 >   I see that gnucash was installed in /usr/bin. Can I relocate it to an
 > exported/nfs-mounted directory such as /opt?

You should be able to, but most of us run it on a local workstation so
you may run in to problems if perl/guile/whatever is set up
differently on both machines.  Please inform us of any
successes/failures.

You could, of course, set up the application to run remotely using X.

 > Or, am I better off downloading
 > and installing helixcode directly from her workstation?

Well, to be honest, it'd probably save time.

 >. . .is there any reason why both copies could not point to the
 > same, shared data directory?

None.  However, be aware that gnucash doesn't currently support
multiple simultaneous users - both of you can't work on the same
gnucash file at the same time.  We are aware that this is a
substantial limitation and it's on the medium-term todo list.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net