Multi-user gnucash

Rich Shepard rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 06:34:41 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Robert Graham Merkel wrote:

> You should be able to, but most of us run it on a local workstation so
> you may run in to problems if perl/guile/whatever is set up
> differently on both machines.  Please inform us of any
> successes/failures.

Robert,

  I'll put a copy in /opt and point the command line there. I'll let you
know what happens.

> You could, of course, set up the application to run remotely using X.

  I have read about this, but have not done it before.

>  > Or, am I better off downloading
>  > and installing helixcode directly from her workstation?
>
> Well, to be honest, it'd probably save time.

  This, then, is my fallback. It'll be less convenient than sharing the one
executable, but time's a factor, too.

> None.  However, be aware that gnucash doesn't currently support
> multiple simultaneous users - both of you can't work on the same
> gnucash file at the same time.  We are aware that this is a
> substantial limitation and it's on the medium-term todo list.

  I wouldn't expect any application to allow two users access to the same
data file concurrently. The first user to open it gets write access, the
write lock makes it read-only for everyone else. Besides, there is no need
for simultaneous access -- at least, not here.

Thanks very much,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)