date stuff in gnucash

Christopher B. Browne cbbrowne@hex.net
06 Dec 2000 00:13:33 -0600

"Gary E. Bickford" <garyb@fxt.com> writes:
> I've been using the datebook on my Palm Pilot, which also works with
> the Gnome Calendar.  Its date system works well.  One can set, for
> example, a 'weekly' event which occurs on Mon, Wed, Fri.

> Which brings up the issue of integration with other parts of the
> Gnome desktop, GNUCash being a Gnome app and all.  Is it in the plan
> to work with GnomeCal and GnomeCard, for instance have a notice that
> it's time to write the rent check appear in GnomeCal, and have check
> addressees put in or taken from the GnomeCard address database?  Or,
> less integrated, have a periodic update between the two address
> databases so we don't have to maintain separate datasets?  On Linux,
> I suppose that if both supported LDAP it would be relatively
> straightforward, and could even integrate with the Netscape address
> book..

_THE_ way to integrate with GnomeCal and GnomeCard would be to go
through the CORBA components.

For instance, you might look for /usr/share/idl/GnomeCal.idl and
/usr/share/idl/gnome-pim.idl, which contain the interfaces designed to
allow you to request access to calendar entries and vCards.

Basic steps:
- use gnome_name_server() to get a GOAD reference
- Request access to [from /etc/CORBA/servers/gnomecal.gnorba]
    "IDL:GNOME:Calendar:Repository:1.0"

  This will spawn gnomecal, if necessary, and provide an object
  reference that lets you reference the methods described in
  GnomeCal.idl

My _preference_ would be to demo it via a script; sadly that is not to
be, as the Python bindings [that I prefer] don't talk straight to
GOAD; I can't actually get the initial name server reference...

In any case, this is the appropriate sort of approach to take.
[Aside: There doesn't seem to be a data structure for the vCalendar
event objects as there is for vCard address objects...  Perhaps the
interface is only part done...]
--
(concatenate 'string "cbbrowne" "@hex.net") <http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/>
"90% of the ideas people bring to  me are no good.  So if I reject all