Thoughts about the stock quote database

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:04:07 -0800

Tor-Øyvind Gundersen writes:
> > What if we annotated quotes with their source? Then quotes for
> > particular transactions could be excluded from analysis.
>
> That could work, yes. But I still fail to see why GnuCash would need
> to insert its own prices into a (possibly system-wide) quote repository.
> Could you explain what the GnuCash' requirements are with respect
> to such a quote repository? Or give me a pointer to where I can find
> this information?

Well, you can't, because we're just deciding that now :)
Up to now we have been historical prices as transactions in
stock registers, and we want to stop doing that and store
prices in a separate database that gnucash can access for
reporting & graphing purposes.

Rob Browning is going the price database, so he will be posting
a requirements/design doc soon.

It may be that gnucash doesn't need to use the price db to store
prices from real transactions.

> > > I hope this hasn't already been discussed to death, and I really
> > > hope I presented some new points and not only stated established
> > > facts.
> >
> > Actually, we're just starting to talk about this, so please join in.
>
> Thanks for the invitation :)
>
> My basic idea, as indicated before, is to have a repository containing
> historical and current quotes for commodities, stocks, funds, bonds,
> futures, and other financial instruments.
>
> This repository should be accessible from all applications to avoid
> multiple downloading and duplicated storing of the data.
>
> I have identified some features I would like to see implemented in
> such a repository, but implementing all those is probably an overkill
> with respect to GnuCash as they also include recording streaming
> transaction data.

What is streaming transaction data?

dave