Thoughts about the stock quote database

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
16 Dec 2000 10:00:39 -0600

Dave Peticolas <dave@krondo.com> writes:

> Rob Browning is going the price database, so he will be posting a
> requirements/design doc soon.

Getting started on this now, so it's time to talk :>

> It may be that gnucash doesn't need to use the price db to store
> prices from real transactions.

This, I think, is the first thing we have to resolve.  As I've thought
about it, though you could put these things into the DB, it would be
much easier in some ways not to.

What does everyone think?  I'm half tempted to just add them as part
of a transaction/split (which should it be? -- dave, you'd mentioned
transaction in your mail, but what if you have several stock purchases
in one transaction -- is that a no-no?)

Once we get this settled, I'd like to go ahead and hammer out an API
for gnucash's interface to a price DB -- and then I can finish
resurrecting the "quote getter" and wire that in.