DB design document

Rob Browning rlb@cs.utexas.edu
20 Dec 2000 15:36:02 -0600

linas@linas.org writes:

> > >     (server) || <- - - - - -> || (gnc_engine <-> ui)
>
> here, the  dotted line is just sql.  Don't have to invent anything to
> make this work.

But is this sufficient?  Overstating things a bit, this may rely on
every sql server we support being able to do everything we need
internally.

Whereas if we have a gnucash proxy on the server side, then if the
particular DB there doesn't support something we need, something that
would be expensive to do remotely, we can just implement it in the
proxy.  It also gives us a place to add any code we need if we want to
make the encryption/authentication system more modular.  Seems like a
more flexible approach in the long run, but of course it does have
it's own set of drawbacks.

FWIW.