DB design document

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 15:48:35 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that Rob Browning said:

> > here, the  dotted line is just sql.  Don't have to invent anything to
> > make this work.
>
> But is this sufficient?  Overstating things a bit, this may rely on
> every sql server we support being able to do everything we need
> internally.

?
More accurately

(sql server) || <- - - - - -> || (sql-client-lib <-> gnc_engine <-> ui)

at some point or another, gnc-engine must convert whatever its doing
to plain-old SQL statements.   The standard sql client side libraries
just send these to the server via unix-dmoain sockets or tcp sockets.
If its tcp sockets, you don't 'care' wheere the sql server is.  Think
of it like using Xlib & getting xwindows network transparency
'automaticaly', with no extra work for the app writer.  Same idea.

--linas