client-server

David Merrill dmerrill@lupercalia.net
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:33:54 -0500

On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 01:09:10PM -0600, linas@linas.org wrote:
> Can't say I'd know what it takes to do this with postgres, but ther
> is discussion in the postgres community about 'embedded' postgres,
> that would allow multiple applications & users on the same machine to
> get thier own truly private, truly unique copies.
>
> Note, the beauty of the msql (and maybe postgres) scheme is that
> you could hand out differnt unix uid's/gid's to different db admins
> and they couldn't snoop, even by accident or maliciously, on each
> other's data.  Basically, you get to use the unix authentication &
> authority model, in addition to whatever the DB provides.

Yes, that's how it works in pg, also. Each user has their own default
database which is named after their username, and can only access
other databases which they create or which the postgres admin
specifically grants them permissions on.

Linux Documentation Project                dmerrill@lupercalia.net
                                       Finger me for my public key

Q:	How many lawyers does it take to change a light bulb?
A:	You won't find a lawyer who can change a light bulb.  Now, if
	you're looking for a lawyer to screw a light bulb...