client-server

linas@linas.org linas@linas.org
Fri, 22 Dec 2000 14:30:21 -0600 (CST)

It's been rumoured that David Merrill said:

> On Fri, Dec 22, 2000 at 01:09:10PM -0600, linas@linas.org wrote:
> > is discussion in the postgres community about 'embedded' postgres,
>
> Yes, that's how it works in pg, also. Each user has their own default
> database which is named after their username, and can only access
> other databases which they create or which the postgres admin
> specifically grants them permissions on.

Hmm, I thought the deal with 'embedded' postgres, there wouldn't be a
separate uid/gid for the admin, that it would all be under the user's
id.

viz, the idea being, that if gnucash used pg, we wouldn't have to
teach my grandma how to be a db admin.  And also to avoid the
possible failures of install scripts run as root that don't
quite manage to configure everything right because your linux distro
is slightly weird ...

gnucash is hard enough to install already ...

--linas