build problems gnucash 1.4.2

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 23:59:36 +1000 (EST)

Geir Magnusson Jr. writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > Hoping someone has seen this.  I searched the archives online and have
 > had no luck yet. (Can I get archived maillist digests?  Would make
 > searches easier...)

Yes, the mailing lists are archived.  However, things might be a
little broken ATM as the website has just moved and the webmaster
is away.

 > I am pretty committed to building this thing from source, only because
 > my inability to do it has really pissed me off by now, and I am going to
 > beat this thing.

We realise that gnucash is a relatively difficult build, and we will
try to reduce the complexity of it in the 1.5.x series, both with
better build documentation and hopefully some removal of some
dependancies (there will be more added, but they will be gnome
infrastructure that you'll need to run most gnome apps anyway).

Hopefully, once the distros start putting g-wrap and the like into
their distributions some of the problems will go away.

 > I am running on what started out as  RH 6.x, and I generally add
 > everything from source builds.
 >
 > I seem to have two problems, both related to guile / g-wrap.
 >
 > 1) At first, I kept getting the dreaded problem when processing
 > src/guile/gnc.gwp.  Others have had the same problem, but I couldn't
 > find a resolution in the online archive.
 >
 > g-wrap --api c ... gnc.gwp
 >
 > where I got a message such like  (I can't make it repeat, sorry, so
 > going from memory):
 >
 > /usr/local/bin/g-wrap:58:9 Can't find file...

It's not ringing a bell here, and there's not quite enough information
for me to diagnose your problem.

 > Now, I figured I had something wacked about g-wrap (which I installed
 > 1.9.4 from source), so I tried 1.9.1 from source, and then the 1.9.1-1
 > rpm, and then 1.9.4, and then uninstall the rpm and then...
 >
 > Anyway,  it seems to 'compile' now, but I am suspicious.
 >
 > 2) Then, when I am trying to compile gnc.c, I get
 >

 > gnc.c:50: parse error before `POINTER_TOKEN_smob'
 > <some warnings>
 > gnc.c:56: parse error before `POINTER_ARRAY_smob'
 > <more warnings>
 > gnc.c: In function `init_gnc':
 > gnc.c:7246: warning: implicit declaration of function `scm_newsmob'
 > make[3]: *** [gnc.o] Error 1
 > make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/gmj/software/gnucash-1.4.2/src/guile'
 > make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
 > make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gmj/software/gnucash-1.4.2/src'
 > make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
 > make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gmj/software/gnucash-1.4.2'
 > make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
 >
 > I have been searching high and low for some hints here, but I have to
 > admit that I don't know the first thing about g-wrap / guile [and this
 > is a lousy first impression].  Any hints, pointers, or references?

It's an incompatibility between g-wrap and guile-1.4.  Rob Browning,
the g-wrap maintainer, is aware of it, and is going to fix it when he
gets back (he's also away ATM).  Right now, the solution is to revert
to guile-1.3.x.

I'm also actively working on g-wrap
(adding support for automatic wrapping of enums and adding type
synonyms) so if you have any
more problems with it please contact myself or Rob (rlb@cs.utexas.edu).

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net