build problems gnucash 1.4.2

Geir Magnusson Jr. geirm@optonline.net
Thu, 13 Jul 2000 09:20:13 -0400

Hi,

Hoping someone has seen this.  I searched the archives online and have
had no luck yet. (Can I get archived maillist digests?  Would make
searches easier...)

I am pretty committed to building this thing from source, only because
my inability to do it has really pissed me off by now, and I am going to
beat this thing.

I am running on what started out as  RH 6.x, and I generally add
everything from source builds.

I seem to have two problems, both related to guile / g-wrap.

1) At first, I kept getting the dreaded problem when processing
src/guile/gnc.gwp.  Others have had the same problem, but I couldn't
find a resolution in the online archive.

g-wrap --api c ... gnc.gwp

where I got a message such like  (I can't make it repeat, sorry, so
going from memory):

/usr/local/bin/g-wrap:58:9 Can't find file...

Now, I figured I had something wacked about g-wrap (which I installed
1.9.4 from source), so I tried 1.9.1 from source, and then the 1.9.1-1
rpm, and then 1.9.4, and then uninstall the rpm and then...

Anyway,  it seems to 'compile' now, but I am suspicious.

2) Then, when I am trying to compile gnc.c, I get

gnc.c:50: parse error before `POINTER_TOKEN_smob'
<some warnings>
gnc.c:56: parse error before `POINTER_ARRAY_smob'
<more warnings>
gnc.c: In function `init_gnc':
gnc.c:7246: warning: implicit declaration of function `scm_newsmob'
make[3]: *** [gnc.o] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory `/home/gmj/software/gnucash-1.4.2/src/guile'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/gmj/software/gnucash-1.4.2/src'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/gmj/software/gnucash-1.4.2'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

I have been searching high and low for some hints here, but I have to
admit that I don't know the first thing about g-wrap / guile [and this
is a lousy first impression].  Any hints, pointers, or references?

Thanks in advance.

geir

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.