missing

Terry tboldt@attglobal.net
Sun, 16 Jul 2000 18:45:33 -0400

On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Terry writes:
> >
> > As I said, I tried both they are available in source only (that is all I coul
> > find)- if binaries are available - please point me towards them. My last
>
> ftp://ftp.helixcode.com/pub/helix/distributions/RedHat-6/
>
> dave

Yeah - I finally got tired of getting zip under the Mandrake page and tried the
Redhat Page - the binaries are actually there - not very intuitive and not
labeled. I donwloaded the two packages. Installed, over-rode the dependendency
for libguile.so.4 and 1.5.0 installed.

Started it up - I run KDE (1.2 I believe, but don't swear by that, whatever
comes with Mandrake 7.01). The new gnome libraries do weird things to the
background under KDE, but gnucash looks okay. Switched from KDE to Gnome and
started gnucash there - looks the same, but the background doesn't look all
wierd. Switched back to KDE. Until I upgrade the OS I'll probably stick with
KDE - richer set of apps available - at least when Mandrake put 7.01 together.
These things are changing so rapidly, that three months is a lifetime. I'll
probably go through 6 to 12 lifetimes before I can justify upgrading the OS
since at the rate everything is growing in size a new HD will be definitely
needed for the upgrade.

I've spent today ruminating on the numeric representation discussion which went
on here and re-reading Knuth and Dahlquist and Bjorck on (semi-)numerical
methods. I have a few thoughts that may be worth sharing here. I'll probably
take a few days to put pen to paper (I'm dating myself - at least I'm not using
a quill) and see if they are worth posting.