fractional parts

Christopher Browne cbbrowne@hex.net
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:57:58 -0500

On Wed, 19 Jul 2000 20:28:11 -0400, the world broke into rejoicing as
Matthew Lepper <mlepper@bellatlantic.net>  said:
> I think the way to use this factoid is to define a data type
> that uses three integers to represent values:
> 1) integer units -- for USD this would be dollars
> 2) fractional numerator
> 3) fractional denominator
>
> This basic structure may have been proposed and dismissed
> already, I haven't been able to follow the whole discussion.
>
> This would allow you to do exact math on almost all
> resonable bits and peices of a base unit.  It seems
> appropriate that the units would use a 64-bit number and
> the fractional bits would be 32-bit numbers.  Pennies
> would simply use a denominator of 100.  Securities quotes
> would use denominators or 2,4,...  Heck, you could even
> represent old english denominations!
>
> Basic math is simple.  It doesn't help the problem of when
> values get rounded, but it can easily represent the result.

That's an interesting alternative, but still suffers from the same
problem that other "numbers-only" representations have, which is that
the "integer units" and "fractional denominator" are properly
associated not with the value, but rather with the _commodity_.

So that there are _two_ data structures:

a) The Commodity, which has:
    1.  A denominator, and
    2.  your "Integer Units."

Then you have...

b) Value, which consists of:
    1.  The numerator, and
    2.  The Commodity identifier.

There can _never_ be a Value on the system that does _not_ have
a Commodity Identifier, because Values do not exist in the abstract,
but only as something associated with a quantity of a Commodity.

The only argument that has persisted is whether or not it is:
a) A Very Good Thing to have the redundant inclusion of the denominator
   information associated with each value, or
b) A Very Bad Thing to have this redundancy.

My vote is with this redundancy being Rather Bad.  Richard feels more
strongly than I do.  And there are others that seem to think that
maintaining this redundant information is a Very Good Thing.
--
cbbrowne@ntlug.org - <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/>
Any programmer who fails to comply with the standard naming, formatting,